24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
-This passage refers to an early international competition much like the Olympics. What makes the Olympics so important?
-What do the athletes get for winning?
-The award that these athletes won was nothing more than a crown made from a tree branch! How long will that last? ( the why or pay value in goal setting).
3 P's of wrestling:
1. Preparation - studying the sport, the mental game.
2. Practice - developing the skills required to excel the sport and keeping them sharp. Technique, drilling, strength & conditioning.
3. Performance - the actual competition. The endurance to compete and win; putting your desire and practice into action.
3 P's of spiritual training
1. Preparation -the desire to know and follow Christ and read about Him in the Bible.
2. Practice - developing the skills by learning to grow as a Christian. Bible study, prayer, and fellowship are to be kept sharp continually.
3. Performance -running the race. Continuing to use your skills to develop endurance. Taking Christ with you at home, in the class room or on the mat.
-Describe mental preparations you make for wrestling. What thoughts help you get ready for a match? Do you ever visualize a match before you step out there?
-List one essential skill required in wrestling.
-List one essential skill required in your Christian life.
-How do you develop endurance for wrestling? How do you develop endurance for your christian life?